tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Tom K" <t...@cox.net>
Subject RE: Database backups initiated from Tomcat
Date Wed, 19 May 2004 13:45:05 GMT
What operating system are you using? It is possible to call System (and
database) commands within java to execute the mysqldump script. For
example for basically any operating system you can execute a
Runtime.getRuntime().exec(String cmdline)

Tom Kochanowicz

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Burns [mailto:frankburns@the-hub.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 8:05 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Database backups initiated from Tomcat

Hi,

I have an urgent requirement where I have to initiate a database backup
(of
three mySQL tables) prior to performing an upload and update of the
database.

The preferred method of backing up is to use the mysqldump script.

Can anyone:

1) tell me whether this is possible -- i.e., running the mysqldump
script
from a servlet

2) give me any clues/details on the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Frank.

---