tomcat-users mailing list archives

From James Bucanek <subscri...@gloaming.com>
Subject RE: Parser Errors on startup
Date Sun, 18 Apr 2004 14:52:36 GMT
Yea!  Adding the DOCTYPE solved my parsing problems!  Thanks Mark.

I realize now that I had taken it out when I was having another problem.  I originally created
the files using UTF-8 encoding:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

But the parser would puke up and wouldn't even start:

    Apr 12, 2004 7:27:05 AM org.apache.commons.digester.Digester fatalError
    SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 1 column -1: Document root element is missing.
    org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Document root element is missing.

I later discovered that my XML-savvy text editor was inserting a byte-order mark at the beginning
of the file, which the XML parser apparently doesn't appreciate.  Taking that out solved (most)
of my parsing problems -- but not until after I'd butchered the file.  ;)

Thanks again for all the help,

James