tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John Thaemlitz" <>
Subject RE: TLS encryption and application/pdf mime types
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:03:36 GMT
I created a work around by setting up a servlet that streams the pdf to
the browser.  The key to making it work is setting Content-Disposition
in the respones header.

resp.setHeader( "Content-Disposition", "inline; filename=my.pdf" );

If someone knows how to configure this in TomCat I'd appreciate it.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Thaemlitz
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2004 12:37 PM
Subject: TLS encryption and application/pdf mime types

I am running TomCat 5.0.19 on AIX 5.2 using IBM's J2RE 1.4.1

I have the TLS SSL encryption working and everything works great in
Mozilla.  However in IE I am unable to access PDF's.  HTML, forms and
images load/submit fine.  IE uses the acrobat plugin when I access PDF's
via the insecure port.  However when I access a PDF via the TLS
encrypted port, IE tries a file download to open "Adobe Acrobat Control
for ActiveX".  If I click the save button, it gives a file not found

Additional info:
The file is there, IE is pointed at a static file ending in ".pdf" The
TLS 1.0 encryption option is checked in IE Basic web mimetypes work in
IE Everything works fine in Mozilla. I have the mime-mapping in my
web.xml file.

Has anyone had this problem with the other SSL implementations?  Any
ideas on what triggers this IE bug would be appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: