tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Wilson, Allen" <Allen.Wil...@marcresearch.com>
Subject RE: Connecting the HTTP Server and Tomcat
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 15:49:30 GMT
Okay...maybe I am missing the boat here....I've got the jsvc built and
started to read through the Daemon API to see how to implement the
interface for Tomcat-4.1.18. But I do not see how to use it to start my
Tomcat session.

Is there a "for dummies" book on this....

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 7:47 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Connecting the HTTP Server and Tomcat

Hi,
You can change fairly easily to run with commons-daemon.  Specific
instructions are at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/setup.html and general
instructions for daemon are at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/daemon/jsvc.html (for unix platforms)
and http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/daemon/procrun.html (for windows
platforms).

As to your command-line options, it depends.  If you mean many -D params
for the JVMs, that's easy to copy and paste to the jsvc/procrun script.
If you mean options set by catalina.sh, there really aren't that many
(4-5, e.g. endorsed directory, classpath), and they're short.  You will
need to copy and paste those into your jsvc/procrun script if you write
one.

You can also look at/extend $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.xml, and use
commons-launcher (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/launcher/) to launch
your tomcat.  This eliminates the need for OS-specific scripts, instead
using an Ant file.  This Ant file (catalina.xml) provided with tomcat
has the utility tasks and information you'd need.  Please start another
thread on this mailing list if you go down one of these routes.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics