tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5: Slooooow startup and shutdown
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:53:50 GMT

Hi,

>I installed Tomcat 5.0.19 on my Solaris 8 box. No config changes and
>additonal webapps deployed
>But the server takes approx. 80 seconds to startup. The shutdown is
also
>slow.

You must have a really slow box: I get startup times of <20 seconds on
Solaris 8 tomcat 5.0.19 out of the box (JDK 1.4.2).

>Is it possible to change some settings to speed up the process.

Yes: remove anything you don't need.  That means the examples, balancer,
webdav, tomcat-docs webapps, along with the manager and admin if you
don't plan on using them.  Further, switch from the default server.xml
to the minimal-server.xml provided (in the $CATALINA_HOM/conf)
directory.  You can strip the additional port 8009 connector along with
the global naming resources from the minimal-server.xml as well if you
don't need them.  Beyond that, you can use a lower number of
minimum/spare threads on the connector, and allocate more minimum memory
(-Xms) to the java heap.

Yoav Shapira