tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: HELP!! -Profiling memory leaks with Tomcat ??
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:00:53 GMT

Hi,
Interesting name ;)  Joe?  Yoav?  A nickname?

>As hits arrive the tomcat process VM size keeps growing gradually.

This is expected if the load keeps increasing.

>It also seems to be something some of the clients do, so I can't run
the
>webapp locally and try and simulate millions of hits on various forms
:(

Why not?  Setup tomcat and your webapp locally.  Run it inside a
profiler, such as OptimizeIt (especially since you said money is no
problem).  Then hit the profiled instance with a JMeter script to
simulate as many requests as you need for the leak to appear.  If you
can't get the problem to appear under these conditions, then we'll have
to think of something else ;)

>We tried running with -Xrunhprof and tried to analyze the dump with hp
>Jmeter - but It couldn't give us a clue  :S

Xrunhprof's output is tough to decipher.

There are also other profilers, some of which are setup for more remote
work, so you might want to check them out:
http://www.manageability.org/blog/stuff/open-source-profilers-for-java/v
iew.

Yoav Shapira