tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Clustering / Load Balancer / Session Cookie
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:57:01 GMT

Hi,

>So the supplied tomcat load balancer isnt of any use for stateful
sessions
>where the cluster is spread accross several machines?

It's of use for stateless sessions mostly, yes.  The intended design is
for it to act is a traffic directory, which it does well.  Furthermore,
you are guaranteed (unless you screw up your own rules somehow) that it
will keep forwarding a request for a given URL to the same host every
time, which means you can do some session stuff.  But I haven't thought
through the next step, support for stateful session replication, yet,
and don't have bandwidth at the moment to do so.  Of course others are
very welcome to contribute to the balancer app: I think it could fill a
sorely needed nice (a pure java software only traffic director).  The
hardware balancer approach is becoming less practical is what I'm
hearing from people in various forums, as our networks and apps become
more and more dynamic.

Yoav Shapira

Basically
>I'm stumped, I know its not accessing the same session because the
>redirected URL is different but how can I get around this?
>
>I've tried a using an HTML frame on the balancer machine but that was
>clutching at straws and obviously didnt work.
>
>Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
>Ta
>Matt
>
>Any opinions expressed in this E-mail may be those of the individual
and
>not necessarily the company. This E-mail and any files transmitted with
it
>are confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If
you
>are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering
>the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this E-mail
in
>error and that any use or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have
>received this E-mail in error please notify the beCogent postmaster at
>postmaster@becogent.com
>Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the
individual
>sender and not beCogent Ltd. You must take full responsibility for
virus
>checking this email and any attachments.
>Please note that the content of this email or any of its attachments
may
>contain data that falls within the scope of the Data Protection Acts
and
>that you must ensure that any handling or processing of such data by
you is
>fully compliant with the terms and provisions of the Data Protection
Act