tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Getting basic Logging up and running
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 18:24:00 GMT

Hi,

>I tried the debug="99" and got the same results as

OK.  That was worth a try, but the result is not too surprising, since
much of tomcat's logging is done via commons-logging now, and the debug
level setting has little or no effect.

>Global Logger all I should need for all my logging or
>do I need to define a logger at each level (connector,
>valve, etc.)?  I wouldn't think I would according to
>the documentation,

The global Logger is inherited, so you don't need to define additional
ones.

>take any chances.  I also noticed that I don't have
>any of the commons-logging jars in my server/lib
>directory but most posts seemed to say I won't need it
>if I'm content with log4j.  Is this true, or do I need
>both?  Any help would be greatly appreciated and save
>my last remaining hairs.

You have commons-logging in $CATALINA_HOME/bin as it's part of the
launch classpath, even before the server/lib classes.

When people say you don't need commons-logging if you're content with
log4j, they are talking about your own webapp's logging.  And they're
right.  If you want to adjust tomcat's internal logging however, as in
this case, then you do need to modify the commons-logging settings.

What you need to do is create a commons-logging configuration file.  In
it specify DEBUG-level logging for the org.apache.catalina packages.
Put this file in $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes and tomcat will load it
automatically.  You will then get additional debug information.  The
file must be called commons-logging.properties I think.

Yoav Shapira