tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale, Matt" <Matt.D...@beCogent.com>
Subject RE: Clustering / Load Balancer / Session Cookie
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:51:16 GMT
Thanks for the quick reply.

So the supplied tomcat load balancer isnt of any use for stateful sessions where the cluster
is spread accross several machines?

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Lin [mailto:tcw00lfel@yahoo.com]
Sent: 29 April 2004 14:44
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Clustering / Load Balancer / Session Cookie

to paraphrase, you want to have it look like the same machine to the browser (ie user).

the easiest way is to use a hardware load balancer. I've use this approach a couple times
in the past and it works well.

peter lin

"Dale, Matt" <Matt.Dale@beCogent.com> wrote:

Hi,

I'm currently testing a setup up on 3 machines.

2 have tomcat 5.0.19, these 2 are clustered with session replication and have a simple test
app.

The other, also 5.0.19, runs the supplied balancer app.

I've written a simple round robin rule which passes the requests back and forth as it should,
I can see the sessions being replicated fine in the logs so all is ok there.

BUT my problem is accessing the same session on both machines. Basically I'm stumped, I know
its not accessing the same session because the redirected URL is different but how can I get
around this?

I've tried a using an HTML frame on the balancer machine but that was clutching at straws
and obviously didnt work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Ta
Matt

Any opinions expressed in this E-mail may be those of the individual and not necessarily the
company. This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and solely for the
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible
for delivering to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this E-mail in
error and that any use or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received this E-mail
in error please notify the beCogent postmaster at postmaster@becogent.com
Unless expressly stated, opinions in this email are those of the individual sender and not
beCogent Ltd. You must take full responsibility for virus checking this email and any attachments.
Please note that the content of this email or any of its attachments may contain data that
falls within the scope of the Data Protection Acts and that you must ensure that any handling
or processing of such data by you is fully compliant with the terms and provisions of the
Data Protection Act 1984 and 1998.