tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject Tomcat and my application's performance ... time being lost?
Date Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:51:08 GMT
Hello Guys

*sigh* I am trying to make my app work as quick as possible but look at these stats...

Page name:                              page_6 page_7 page_8 page_9 page_10 page_11
Min web transaction (without images): 460.79 1962.42 2296.12 2881.90 2660.72 1640.80
Avg web transaction (without images): 3681.05 3637.22 3472.87 3935.36 4368.14 3877.93
Max web transaction (without images): 5425.64 5875.14 5977.36 6194.46 7140.51 6557.30

That's 20 users x 3 iterations. What is puzzling me is that I have wrapped code-level timings
around the very top entry point of the Struts action and the very bottom. These timings are
coming out at sub 0.5s. I also have done the same in the top level template JSP that includes
every page and the pages for the most part are timed at sub 0.4s.

In general though add them together and I get sub 0.5s for execution of backend and frontend
code.

But look at the average transaction time above and 3+s is the best my Tomcat configuration
is doing. I am beginning to suspect that this is not to do with my application code if my
timings are so fast??

I suppose these type of timings are only for the running of the code and do not cover the
time it takes for the user click to the Action itself, and also again for sending the page
as a response stream?? Although the timings show fast execution, does this include sending
the response stream itself - I don't think it does.

I have tried this now on my home machine and 2 servers so I don't think it is to do with network
latency or anything like that. I am pretty sure something in the application is slowing down
but I have timed pretty much everything from database calls, page compilation and so fourth
and it is all ultra-fast...so where is my time going?

--> User Click
 --> My Action Servlet extends Struts Action Servlet framework
  --> Action Servlet calls Struts framwork I presume
   --> Struts framework calls my BaseAction (this is what I time)
    --> My Action class does it's work
     --> my BaseAction returns (output total time here = sub 0.5s)
      --> Struts/tiles handles sending JSP view to user
       --> My template JSP is called by Struts (this is timed again < 0.4s)

So if my code timings are really fast, then it could be Struts that is consuming the extra
time?

Advice on where can I turn next to determine the missing time is so very much appreciated.

ADC

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055