tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat configuration tuning
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:55:17 GMT
All our actions extend an abstract base action that handles auth if the session user is null
and then delegates to a subclass to do the actial work which is another way of what you describe
there.

Hm...are you saying you use JCIFS also? Is the loginContext your own or part of the JCIFS
API.

ADC

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Charles N. Harvey III [mailto:charlieh@alloy.com]
	Sent: Thu 08/04/2004 20:38
	To: Tomcat Users List
	Subject: Re: Tomcat configuration tuning

	I do just what you described below.  If the loginContext isn't in the
	session,
	I show do a global-forward to the login form.  And, because I didn't want to
	have to put a session check into every Struts action I used AspectJ to weave
	in a pointcut into every action.  Works great.  I was considering going with
	a filter servlet instead but if you say its slow then maybe I did the right
	thing.

	Charlie

	Allistair Crossley wrote:

	>Slightly off-forum but related to my performance tuning of my tomcat webapp, I am using
the JCIFS NTLM authentication servlet as a filter. The filter is mapped to all requests /*.
I just thought to myself on the train home whether because NTLM is a 3-way handshake, that
this may be causing some kind of performance hit.

	>The filter authenticates the desktop user and then populates the request.getRemoteUser.
I suppose I "could" do this once with a login servlet and then populate a session user object
and if that ever expires redirect back to the login servlet.

	>Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be worth my time removing the filter
per request in favour of a once-only login action.