tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat configuration tuning
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2004 19:31:57 GMT
Slightly off-forum but related to my performance tuning of my tomcat webapp, I am using the
JCIFS NTLM authentication servlet as a filter. The filter is mapped to all requests /*. I
just thought to myself on the train home whether because NTLM is a 3-way handshake, that this
may be causing some kind of performance hit.

The filter authenticates the desktop user and then populates the request.getRemoteUser. I
suppose I "could" do this once with a login servlet and then populate a session user object
and if that ever expires redirect back to the login servlet.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be worth my time removing the filter per request
in favour of a once-only login action.

I appreciate this is off-tomcat, so no hard feelings if noone replies ;)

ADC

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055