tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Memory Leak
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 15:09:38 GMT
In your profiler rather than looking at the type of object taking the memory look at the accumulated
memory consumed by your classes. This will show you which classes are taking up the most memory
and if you have a leak you might expect this accumulated value to be a high percentage of
the overall heap being used.. look for a percetage of memory used.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chanan Braunstein [mailto:cbraunstein@knovel.com]
Sent: 15 April 2004 15:27
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: Memory Leak

Hello,
    I am having a problem with Tomcat 5.0.19 on windows with JDK 1.4.2_02.
The memory that java.exe is using keeps growing till the point that tomcat
stops responding.
    Using a profiler, doesn't seem to give me any clues. I can see the
memory being used by certain classes go up (mainly char[]) and even reach
all the way to the point that used java heap equals to the java heap, but
then GC kicks in and drops down back to where it was when I started the
test. However, the memory in the task manager keeps going up. For example
right now it is at 717,000 K, even though the heap used is at about 200,000
K. What am I missing here?
    My current params are -server -Xrs -Xms356M -Xmx356M - I tried all kinds
of different sizes for the memory but that doesn't really help. Any
suggestions as to where (how) to look to find my memory leak?

Chanan Braunstein
Knovel Corp.
Web Development Manager
607-773-1840 x672