tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hollerman Geralyn M <gmh2...@louisiana.edu>
Subject Re: Apache certificate
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:26:46 GMT
Daniel Gibby wrote:

> Maybe he knows something you don't... How are people accessing your
> URLs?

Primarily, they're supposed to go thru a link on a main page (the link is in
http, and Apache would rewrite it) OR people could enter that same link manually
- but we think it is VERY unlinkely that someone(a casual user) would go to the
trouble of specifying the EXACTLY name, port included, that Tomcat needs. I
think the case my sysadmin is considering is where a user inadvertantly
specifies https.

Re-write the URL for Tomcat; basically, change "www.a.com" to "www.a.com:8080".

> Will something that is https _ever_ have
> to go through apache for some URL rewriting? If so, then for sure apache
> would have to need a certificate installed as well.

This I don't understand. Even if you simply tell Apache to rewrite something
that starts with "https" as starting with "http" Apache has to "see" a certificate?

> I don't see why you
> couldn't install it on both, but they both couldn't listen on the same
> port on the same IP address. That is for sure.

The problem was the format - Tomcat wanted JKS and the Apache certificate is in
PKCS12. I had asked about this earlier when we were just using a self-signed
cert (rather than a "real" CA one), and was told with my version of Tomcat I
could change "keystoreType" to PKCS12 and everything would be fine. It was. As
it turned out, the reason this version with a "real" cert didn't work was
because of a problem in importing - not everything came along that was needed.
So, while the problem was solved, I'm now doubting if I understand Apache!

--
Lynn Hollerman.