tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <chon...@cymulacrum.net>
Subject Re: Realm(?) authentication
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 04:36:59 GMT
Matthew Bechly wrote:

>Hi Tomcat users,
>
>I am a new user and have Tomcat 5.0.19 - windows. I only run one application
>which is running well on our intranet. I am thinking of giving external
>(outside my firewall) users access. I have configured Tomcat for SSL, no
>problems.
>
>As added security, I wanted to authenticate (similar to manager) all Tomcat
>users (for any access, root and the webapps). I have read the How to's, and
>searched lists to no avail. I think I need to configure an <engine> Realm
>setup. I have configured my users for MemoryRealm.
>
>I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of a 'step by step'
>for this. I have been playing around with the config files on and off for a
>week without success.
>
>Thanks
>Matt

Hi Matthew !

I've written one step by step for this. It's for Tomcat on Linux, but I
don't think Windows is different at all, at least for the realm part.
Can't say the same for the installation. You can view it at
http://www.connecties.com/cymulacrum/tomcat5/c578.html. This is for JDBC
realms, meaning that your user information (i.e. username, password) is
stored inside a database. The database described in the example is
Firebird (the Open Source branch of Interbase), but I think it should
work for any database with a JDBC driver -- some tweaking required of
course.

Hope this helps !

Regards,
pascal chong