tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michiel Toneman <Michiel.Tone...@bibit.com>
Subject Re: quick question when getting started
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:04:31 GMT
Hi Stephen,

You've been tricked by the web.xml. The JSP's are pre-compiled to
servlets and a mapping for the URL "/index.jsp" to this servlet has been
inserted into web.xml. If you delete the servlet mapping in the web.xml,
everything should be as normal, and your changes will be visible.

(this caught me out the first time too... ;-) )

Michiel

Stephen Charles Huey wrote:

>I'm upgrading from Tomcat 4 to 5 and I just installed Tomcat 5 on a dev
>machine to play with it, and I know a couple things are organized a bit
>differently, but the provided index page is weirding me out.
>
>I tried to add a line of text to the index.jsp in webapps\ROOT and when I
>reload the page (that I browse to by going to localhost on my Win 2K
>Server machine), that line of text isn't appearing.  I've tried adding
>other bits, too, and I've tried restarting Tomcat, and I found a
>catalina-root.jar in the WEB-INF\lib folder and deleted that in an effort
>to get it to recompile the index.jsp, but nothing seems to be working!
>Why?
>
>Here's an example of what I've modified in the HTML:

>Stephen has setup Tomcat successfully.

Michiel Toneman  Software Engineer   Bibit Global Payment Services
Regulierenring 10  3981 LB  Bunnik       Michiel.Toneman@bibit.com
Tel. +31-30-6595168  Fax +31-30-6564464      http://www.bibit.com/