tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "John B. Moore" <...@microps.com>
Subject Virtual Hosting Revisited - Apache serving static pages..???
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:52:50 GMT
Posted this previously and still need some pointers...

Maybe this is not possible, but it seems to be "suggested" in a lot of
the documentation I have read. Unfortunately those docs "assume"
something that I am not privy to..  (a brain.. yeah well...<G>) and do
not outline specific configurations for this setup. I read a lot of "and
you can have Apache serve the static pages"..etc.. but I have yet to
find and example of how this would be configured.

   I would prefer setting this up via the server.xml and the web.xml
files and have those autoconfigure to the /auto/mod_jk.conf file, but
for now I need some specifics on how to tell Apache to serve the static
pages. (I have no problems with serving the jsp and servlets..)

  Thanks...

=============== Original post ==================

  Can't seem to get the dots connect between an Apache defined Virtual
host and one defined in server.xml.

The desired effect is that I want static html pages loaded from Apache
and jsp/servlet loaded by Tomcat from the same "virtual host"
definition.  Read a lot of instructions/books..etc  and have in the past
had no problems with using the default "localhost" (out of the box)
setup.... now I need this more complex arrangement and I'm missing a
piece.. can't figure out what it is...  Following are the pieces I
thought were necessary...

On Apache (2.0.48) I have name based virtual hosting..

Example (snipped version)

    <VirtualHost 207.137.13.166>
       ServerName dev1.adomain.com
       ...other stuff.....
    </VirtualHost>

On Tomcat (4.1.29) (abreviated) the Server.xml I have

<Host name="dev1.adomain.com"
    appBase="webapps/dev1"

    <Listener className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"
         ...etc....
     />
     ... other stuff....
</Host>

This generates the correct mod_jk.conf which is included in the
httpd.conf file at the end..

  I see my web application defined there and all looks "correct" with
the entry...

<VirtualHost dev1.adomin.com>
  ServerName dev1.adomain.com

  ...etc...

</VirtualHost>

  I have a JkMount as follows (example)

  JkMount /MyWebAp/servletname ajp13
  JkMount /MyWebAp/*.jsp ajp13

(started and restarted everything several times..)

Unfortunately the following Url does not work

    http://dev1.adomain.com/MyWebAp/servletname

nor

   http://dev1.adomain.com/MyWebAp/index.jsp

... I get an Apache "Not Found"..etc...  Obviously I've missed a dot so
it is not connecting..  Basically I suspect that the Virtualhost def in
httpd.conf is conflicting with the one supplied in mod_jk.conf..  But so
far I have not been able to resolve this..

(Notes.. assume the example domain "dev1.adomain.com" points to
207.137.13.166 is registered with a DNS service. I have no problems
seeing static pages at that domain in the htdocs/dev1 directory)

 Clues and suggestions..

  John..