tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hiroshi Iwatani <HGA03...@nifty.ne.jp>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5 vs. Resin?
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 10:17:45 GMT
Yes. Lately, Tomcat is unnecessarily complex. Resin is much simpler,
easy to use, easy to configure, has good performance, smarter code
generation for JSP than Tomcat, chief developer Scott is a very nice
guy with deep knowledge, etc., etc.

Best thing for me is, in Resin, you don't have to recompile the source
when you updated your servlet. Both recompile and reload is done
automatically. When you use jikes, recompile is very fast.

For test development and for learning, you don't have to write any
web.xml nor any conf. Very easy!

Josh Rehman wrote:
> Has anyone compared Tomcat 5 and Resin?
>
> Resin has a huge drawback of being closed-source, but it has a great
> reputation for being small, fast, and easy to configure. Tomcat is
> working for us, but has been something of a bear WRT learning curves and
> gotchas, so I'm interested in learning more about the alternatives.
>
> Thanks.

Hiroshi Iwatani

*stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about your
country? *for our better karma*