tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: any standart way to keep passwords encripted???
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:37:53 GMT
Hi.  I've had some time to think about this subject especially since
others have brought it up before.

The real honest to goodness problem is that eventually you'll need to
deal with a password.  That's just unavoidable.  You could encrypt the
password, but that would just need another password to decrypt it before
making it useful.  Even SSL has a server.key file (the server's private
key) that needs to be guarded with the highest security available.

The only really secure way to deal with it and not have a plain text
password hanging around somewhere is to possibly have the admin enter
the password on startup.  I don't know about you, but I'm not crazy
about babysitting a server or having the site down until I can sit at a
console and put in a password :-(.

Just properly secure the server.xml (or context.xml) file with read only
access and only for the user tomcat is launched as.  Also make sure it's
in a place guaranteed not to be served out by any means.  I have mine in
/etc/tomcat5 and symlinked the conf directory in tomcat to /etc/tomcat5.

Lastly, look at ways to limit the impact of a compromised password
(firewalls, ACL's, change passwords on a routine basis, minimum
privilege, etc, ...).

Just my three cents on the matter.  It's Friday -- time for happy hour.

--David Smith, CISSP