tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hiroshi Iwatani <HGA03...@nifty.ne.jp>
Subject Re: JSP Include and URL encoding
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 11:56:08 GMT
Dennis Thrys√łe wrote:
> Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:
>
>> (1)Set page directive attributes right
>>    (Maybe, pageEncoding = your platform encoding and charset = UTF-8)
>

> They are correct. The generated servlet already contains the wrong value
> '%3F'.
>
>> (2)Use a Servlet/JSP container other than Tomcat. For example, Resin
>> from caucho.com.
Oh no! (1)+ (2) is a SET. Not separate issues. Tomcat JSP translator doesn't
use these page directive entries. So I called it substandard negligence.

Anyway, thanks for an enjoyable reply!

BTW, bugzilla 23929 OP is wrong.

> I guess that could be an option, but this Tomcat instance is running at
> our service provider, so they would have to think so too.
>
> The problem has now been fixed by setting the language and country
> properties to 'da' and 'DK' respectively. This was apparently necesarry
> for the JSP parser to read the file correctly.
>

>> <quote>
>> Scott Ferguson wrote:
>>
>>  > Actually, the underlying problem is a difficult one. Unfortunately,
>> URLs
>>  > don't have an official character encoding. It looks like we're
>> drifting
>>  > toward UTF-8 as a default, but that's not specified in the HTTP
>>  > specifications.
>>  >
>>  > Because the HTTP request does not specify the URL encoding, the web
>>  > server needs to guess. It's somewhat of an ugly problem.
>

> For JSP includes this doesn't seem to be the problem. It is because of
> characters being replaced with '?' when reading the JSP.
>

> Thanks anyway,
>

> -dennis

Hiroshi Iwatani

*stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about your
country? *for our better karma*