tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <chon...@cymulacrum.net>
Subject Re: How to get Tomcat 5 back to original state?
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:14:44 GMT
Hi Josh,

Don't start deleting stuff just yet. If you do this:

rm -rf conf/Catalina

Then your admin and manager applications will definitely not work,
because the context fragments for both web applications (and the
balancer app) are in conf/Catalina/localhost/.

What I *would* do in your situation is this:

1. Create a temporary directory for backing up your current
configuration. I know it's probably not working, but if you back it up,
and if you have the time later, you can refer to them and see where the
configuration differed. (I highly recommend this approach, because you
can be sure that months from now, when you mess with installing Tomcat
again, you'll encounter something similar, and you'll need to remember
what you did wrong previously)

2. Create another temporary directory where you can download another
Tomcat tarball and expand it. Use the pristine server.xml and
tomcat-users.xml inside there and manager.xml to replace your current
files.

3. Then, test again and check the differences between the files.

4. If Tomcat starts up and works properly, you know that you have only
changed 3 files -- so check them for differences. It's also a good idea
to write down your diagnosis, because you never know when you'll need it
again.

Regards.
pascal chong

Josh Rehman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to figure out how to finagle Tomcat into a "pristine state"
> without having to reinstall binaries. This is because, once again,
> I've somehow managed to get Tomcat into a wierd state where Manager
> doesn't want to work, I'm getting some wierd messages in the logs, and
> things are just generally bad. (I've put the trace at the end of the
> message, although that's not the central point to this message).
>
> So what do I need to do to get Tomcat into a pristine state, assuming
> I've not touched any binaries? Here's what I *think* I should do:
> 1 - Replace conf/server.xml with a simple one.
> 2 - rm -rf conf/Catalina
> 3 - (Optionally) Revert tomcat-users.xml to original
>

> Am I missing anything? Thanks!

> Here's catalina.out, for the curious:
>
> INFO: Installing web application at context path /balancer from URL
> file:C:\java
> \tomcat5.0.18\webapps\balancer
> Mar 31, 2004 11:15:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Error filterStart
> Mar 31, 2004 11:15:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Context startup failed due to previous errors
> Mar 31, 2004 11:15:57 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer
> install
>
> Here is my localhost log, for the curious:
>
> 2004-03-31 23:08:46 StandardContext[/balancer]Exception starting
> filter BalancerFilter
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/digester/Digester
>    at
> org.apache.webapp.balancer.RulesParser.createDigester(RulesParser.java:107)
>
>    at org.apache.webapp.balancer.RulesParser.<init>(RulesParser.java:85)
>    at
> org.apache.webapp.balancer.BalancerFilter.init(BalancerFilter.java:121)
>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.getFilter(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:272)

>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.setFilterDef(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:355)

>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterConfig.<init>(ApplicationFilterConfig.java:126)

>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.filterStart(StandardContext.java:3646)
>
>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4275)
>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:866)
>
>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:850)
>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:638)
>    at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.install(StandardHostDeployer.java:320)

>    at
> [...]

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it."
		-- Marcus Tullius Cicero
| Pascal Chong                                                   |
| email: chongym@cymulacrum.net                                  |
| Please visit my site at : http://cymulacrum.net                |
| If you're using my documentation, please read the Terms and    |
| and Conditions at http://cymulacrum.net/terms.html             |