tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <tcw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: article on Tomcat
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 20:32:57 GMT

well I think there's a myth here. I don't believe there is such a thing as standard configuration.
the only good configuration is on that has been load tested with your application.

even if I know weather.com's software setup, the parts that make the difference is the actual
implementation. if you look at superpages.com they use tomcat directly, since most of their
traffic is dynamic.

it makes no sense to use apache + tomcat + mod_jk.  heavy sites host images on dedicated servers
to begin with.

peter

Daniel Gibby <dgibby@edirectpublishing.com> wrote:
Great idea! The more people who use tomcat the better for the rest of us
IMHO. Everyone contributes, or at least I think they should.

What do you think of finding out what configuration some of these high
profile sites use so that us other little guys who still have somewhat
high volume sites but don't have a lot of resources to determine which
configurations we should use can take advantage of their expertise. If
they used to pay big bucks for other app servers and are getting tomcat
for free, I'm sure they should be happy to contribute to the community,
right?

So how about asking them for their configurations (ie. do they use
mod_jk, apache, IIS, etc...) and maybe even get the relevant portions of
their configuration files to be used as examples.

OR maybe there are already a bunch of good examples out there, including
good known configurations that have been posted on this list, but the
problem I always have is 'Do they really still work?' or have they had
problems with the install that they have.

I guess I'm saying that it would be nice if the tomcat site actually had
an index of different configurations, and even be able to view/download
the configurations on the apache site. That way I could trust that they
actually work.

I guess I've asked for a lot, but I would bet that doing what I just
mentioned would cut the requests to this list down in half. Think about
that for a while. Wouldn't it be worth maintaining those pages if tomcat
developers didn't have to baby sit us as much?

Daniel Gibby

Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>Hi,
>I've added a section to the Tomcat FAQ
>(http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq) on who's using tomcat in
>production:
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/misc.html#productionStories. This
>is obviously just a start, far from complete, etc. If you let me know
>of a site, preferably with some article or other reference, I'll gladly
>and quickly add it to the FAQ.
>
>Yoav Shapira
>Millennium Research Informatics

may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged. This e-mail is
intended only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied,
printed, disclosed or used by anyone else. If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please
immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender. Thank you.