tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <tcw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JDK 1.5 beta new features
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 17:30:31 GMT
ahh now I see.

you're using generics.   I don't think jasper currently supports those features, since square
brackets and "<>" have other meaning in JSP.  kinman and jan would have a better idea
of when support for it will be implemented. I would have guessed it would work, since scriplet
normally gets dumped into the servlet code with minimal modifications.

peter

juhani <juh4ni@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello! Test JSP is created after an example from page
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/releases/j2se15/
(Autoboxing and Auto-unboxing of Primitive Types).

JSP-page:

ArrayList list = new ArrayList();
list.add(0, 42);
%>

Fails to compile:

Generated servlet error:
[javac] Compiling 1 source file

C:\tomcat\work\Catalina\localhost\_\org\apache\jsp\a_jsp.java:47: '('
or '[' expected
ArrayList list = new ArrayList();
Startup:

C:\tomcat>\j2sdk1.5.0\bin\java -version
java version "1.5.0-beta"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.5.0-beta-b32c)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-beta-b32c, mixed mode)

C:\tomcat>bin\catalina run
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\tomcat\temp