tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Deepak Vishwanathan <vdeepak_jobs_internsh...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Urgent Requirement
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:29:23 GMT
Thank you very much for the response.

Deepak

"Visvanath, Sridhar (Cognizant)" <Vsridhar1@chn.cognizant.com> wrote:
I see that you want library of DAO classes in a distributed fashion. You can use Hibernate
framework. It is better than entity EJB. We have used it in our project. I guess hibernate
should help your case. check it out at

http://www.hibernate.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: Deepak Vishwanathan [mailto:vdeepak_jobs_internships@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 12:37 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Urgent Requirement

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for the responses.

The scenario is like I want to write a class that can be remotely invoked using JMS / RMI
technology. This class will be solely responsible for fetching the data from the database,
with connection pooling capabilities.

Any component that needs data from the database connects to the above mentioned class.

If I were to write such a Java class (component), is there any popular open source project
package designed specifically to facilitate such a class.

The constraint is that package should be free for redistribution.

Thanks
Deepak

Peter Lin wrote:

I believe the features you're looking for are available on EJB containers. For example, weblogic
can manage a pool of connections and front end webservers can use that pool.

when you say "can these two communicate" what exactly is the goal? Filip's recommendations
are good in general, but the learning curve may be steep if you've never use RMI or aren't
familiar with RPC.

based on what you said, it sounds like you have some objects that contain shared data. If
that is the case, make sure caching the data on both servers absolutely isn't an option before
using EJB's. If caching the objects locally is sufficient, it will save you the cost of learning
EJB's.

peter lin

Filip Hanik - Dev wrote:
several different ways, but this is not a tomcat related question

1. HTTP, set up a servlet/jsp on one server, and object on machine two can invoke the servlet,
then the servlet can invoke the
object on machine one.

2. RMI, read up on RMI

3. Straight TCP, but you probably dont want to do this :)