tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Ramsey <david_l_ram...@yahoo.com>
Subject Clarification on Filters
Date Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:32:17 GMT
I am aware that I can set an encoding filter per web app in each web
app's web.xml file. This would let me set default encoding to UTF-8.
(Tomcat 4 appears to be Western ISO by default?)

But if my website is intended for internal usage only as an enterprise
application in a European nation, I would want every web app to default
to  UTF-8.

Now it seems to me that I ought to be able to set that filter globally
in the $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml file but I've not yet figured out how
to do it. Thus I have two questions.

1. Is this the best way to set the entire container to UTF-8 encoding?

2. If it is, can someone give me an example of how I might do that with
the $TOMCAT_HOM/conf/web.xml file?

Thanks in advance!