tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Philip Baruc <bar...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Require a tomcat build with bug fix....
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 20:42:26 GMT
I just tried to run tomcat 5.0.22 and i don't belive
the bug(10469) is resolved in this build.
I see the fix here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/loader/WebappClassLoader.java

This also were i got the version 1.50 that i alluded
to in an earlier email.

from what i can see. IN the 1.50 version. there has
been a change made to the getURL(File file) function:

   /**
     * Get URL.
     */
    protected URL getURL(File file)
        throws MalformedURLException {

        File realFile = file;
        try {
            realFile = realFile.getCanonicalFile();
        } catch (IOException e) {
            // Ignore
        }

        //return new URL("file:" +
realFile.getPath());
        URLEncoder urlEncoder = new URLEncoder();
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter(',');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter(':');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('-');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('_');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('.');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('*');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('/');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('!');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('~');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('\'');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter('(');
        urlEncoder.addSafeCharacter(')');

        return new
URL(urlEncoder.encode(realFile.toURL().toString()));
    }

In the tomcat 5.0.22 version, it appears that the
getURL(File) still looks as it did before markt made
his feb 22 fix to the bug.

It appears that the fix is in the tomcat 4.0 branch
but not in the tomcat 5.0 branchs. I hope i am reading
the cvs repositories correctly. If not perhaps you can
help me. Basially I'm looking for a build of tomcat
(perferably a 4.0 build) that has this fix. I am
reluctant to build the tomcat source files myself and
distribute a custom bug fixed version of tomcat to our
customers.

I'm running into a problem without this fix because
i'm attempting to make an RMI call from with in
tomcat. When tomcat attempts to resolve the remove
interface i get an exception like:

java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling
arguments; nested exception is:
	java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
Files/Apache

I belive that this is cause WebAppClassLoader
getURL(File) function is suffering from a bug encoding
problem in the jdk.

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4273532.html

I belive that Apache has recognized this problem and
has implemented its fix in its cvs repositories in its
tomcat 4.0 branch, but no in any of the builds on the
4.0 branch.

Please advice...

Thank You,
P.B.