tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <>
Subject Re: Tomcat performance issue?
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:53:41 GMT
luckily I have a license of Borland OptimizeIt.
What I do is I start tomcat using OptimizeIt. Then I create a test plan in JMeter. Once tomcat
is running, I warm it up by sending it a couple hundred requests to make sure all the pages
are compiled.
before the test starts, use OptimizeIt to garbage collect. Once that is done, I start the
test and look at the number of threads and size of the heap. If there's a memory leak, either
the thread count will increase, or the heap will grow rapidly. Once I see either one, I then
switch to the call graph to get a better picture of which methods are getting called. Usually,
that is enough to point towards a culprit.
repeat, and rinse as many times as needed until you've squashed all bugs and leaks.
peter lin

Matt Woodings <> wrote:
I just read your post this morning (I am lurking today as I have a few
issues of my own to clear up :-) ) and I think that is some really good
advice you gave. I do have a question though.

Once you have noticed you have a memory leak, how do you go about locating

Do you Yahoo!?