tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Graham Bleach <gra...@darkskills.org.uk>
Subject Re: Tomcat Site slow and stops responding after certain number of threads
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 11:37:43 GMT
On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 10:39:37PM -0500, sp k wrote:
> We have a Tomcat site which becomes terribly slow and then stops responding
> after the thread count in windows task manager reaches 107 threads. We are
> using Tomcat 4.1.27 on windows 2000 machine.  Our load tests could never
> emulate this behavior that occurs under real load. When the site crashes
> the memory consumption of the site is less than the initial max heap size
> set for it.
>
> Did any one ever face similar issues, we are baffled as to why 107 threads?
> Is related to the connector threads or JVM's garbage collection?
>
> Does anyone have any idea why the site would crash at the same thread level?

Have you checked the minProcessors and maxProcessors setting for your
connector in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml? You don't say which
connector you are using, but the Coyote connectors all have a limit on
the number of threads dedicated to connection handling.

Documentation on connector configuration:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/coyote.html

It should be logged when you reach the maximum processors, but I can't,
offhand remember where.

One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code.
	-- Ken Thompson