tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <tcw00l...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Site slow and stops responding after certain number of threads
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 04:37:30 GMT

windows by default allocates 1mb of memory per thread.
107 threads shouldn't cause any problems, unless your
system only has 128mb of ram. From first hand
experience, once the allocated memory reach half the
physical ram, windows starts to disk cache. Once that
happens, GC performance gets worse. In fact in .NET
1.0, disk caching causes heap fragmentation and memory
leaks. If disk cache is kicking in, the performance
issues may be the result of heap fragmentation, which
kills GC performance.

peter lin