tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik - Dev" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: heavy load - ConcurrentModificationException
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:46:20 GMT
<joke>our lovely RequestGroupInfo, our favorite! :)</joke>
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gilad Buzi" <gilad.buzi@bcn.concatel.com>
To: <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 8:31 AM
Subject: heavy load - ConcurrentModificationException

Hello,
Tomcat 4.1.30
Under heavy load, we seem to be getting this error every once in a while:

 at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.checkForComodification(AbstractList.java:448)
 at java.util.AbstractList$Itr.next(AbstractList.java:419)
 at java.util.AbstractCollection.remove(AbstractCollection.java:254)
 at
org.apache.coyote.RequestGroupInfo.removeRequestProcessor(RequestGroupInfo.java:17)
 at org.apache.coyote.RequestInfo.setGlobalProcessor(RequestInfo.java:96)
 at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$MXPoolListener.threadEnd(Http11Protocol.java:620)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool.removeThread(ThreadPool.java:279)
 at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:727)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

We've narrowed down the problem and it's definitely not in our code.  As
the error indicates, it is Tomcat (coyote).  Searching some of the bug
databases and this mailing list's archive, I see that this has been
around for a while (why don't they just use a synchronized method?!)
So I'm wondering if anyone knows of the last stable version of Tomcat
that doesn't raise this exception under heavy load.

BTW, we're using the standard connector
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector on port 8080 . If we used the
other connector, would this go away?
(org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.Ajp13Connector for instance)

Thanks,
/gilad