tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Parsons Technical Services" <parsonstechni...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: A couple of performance related questions
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2004 22:48:15 GMT
Randy,

Since David did 1 & 2 I'll give you 3.

> 3) setting -Xmx ,-Xss. (what is the default? I noticed in the catalina.sh,
> there is no -Xmx ,-Xss)

If you are using catalina.sh then you set the enviroment settings by
exporting a system variable in the shell.
If you are running it as a daemon, well that's another issue.

>From a prompt:
export JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx128m"

Put which setting you want in place of the ones above.

Default is 64M.

> 4012 apache     9   0 92160  65M  2412 S     0.3  6.4   0:15 java

For this the thread count doesn't matter. Each shows the total available to
all threads. In this case 64M or 65M.

So even with 300 threads the most memory used is 64M for all threads
combined. Search the archives for listings on memory. There were a couple of
good post on this in the last couple of months.

 Doug
www.parsonstechnical.com