tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Curwen" <gb_...@gb-im.com>
Subject RE: Clustering / Load Balancer / Session Cookie
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:16:56 GMT
Maybe my brain hasn't kicked in yet, but there's something I'm not
getting about this conversation...  ;)   More inline...

Am I wrong in thinking that "stateless session" is an oxymoronic
expression?  A session is all about maintaining state. (yes, I never did
quite grok stateful/stateless session EJB's).

> Furthermore, you are guaranteed (unless you screw up
> your own rules somehow) that it will keep forwarding a
> request for a given URL to the same host every time, which
> means you can do some session stuff.

So the balancer app does "sticky sessions".  Awesome.  You can do *all*
session stuff then, can't you?

> But I haven't thought
> through the next step, support for stateful session
> replication, yet, and don't have bandwidth at the moment to
> do so.

Doesn't filip's clustering code accomplish this? (Why would the balancer
have to do it?)