tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Chandu" <cha...@translogicsys.com>
Subject Re: OutOfMemoryError - Excessive class loading
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:21:04 GMT
Sorry I forgot to mention environment details:

WinXP 2000 professional, 256 MB RAM, 384 Page File, MySql 4, Tomcat 4.1.27
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chandu
  To: Tomcat Users List
  Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 6:49 PM
  Subject: OutOfMemoryError - Excessive class loading

  Guys,

  I am getting java.lang.OutOfMemoryError when I start/stop/start/stop... a specific context
multiple times.
  I am using Optimizeit to profile my application. I found multiple class definitions are
being held by tomcat
  of same class. Everytime the context is restarted(using the Manager application), of course,
the classes
  will be loaded again. As developing the application, I used to start/stop a specific context
so many times.
  However, when the restarts of context(without shutting down the tomcat instance) exceeds
30 or 40 I am
  getting the out of memory error.

  More specifically I would like to know:

  When a context is stopped, does all the resources will be released? This includes stopping
of threads
  if any and unloading of all classes which are loaded during the context lifecycle.

  Can anyone please help me in solving this?

  - Chandu.