tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <yansheng....@silvacom.com>
Subject RE: Handling SOAP faults
Date Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:07:45 GMT
Hi,
Ok, I think what happened here is: the response message is *overwritten*
since you already defined a custom error-page in your deployment descriptor.
You can do a few simple tests to find out whether this is true:
	1) by taking out the error-page and see what's on the default 500
page
	2) get the message from the response using scriptlet, I got a
feeling that there may be error-tags in jsp, but I cannot be sure without
checking with the manual.

-Yan

PS. SOAP is a really good idea.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Harrelson [mailto:brooksharrelson@cs.com]
Sent: April 16, 2004 11:59
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Handling SOAP faults

What the SOAP spec says is that a SOAPfault XML document
needs to be returned in the errorStream and a response code of
500 returned.

Sending a response 500 is easy, including a response message is
also easy.  But, what is included in the response message is not
written to the errorStream.  Tomcat seems to write whatever is
generated by the error-page directive in the deployment descriptor
to the error-stream, so I have currently solved the problem by
passing the SOAPfault document through the session variable to
the designated jsp listed in the error-page directive.

It just seems that this is a hackery way to do it, and my servlet
should be able to write directly to the errorStream of the response, I
just can't see how.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill