tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Yansheng Lin" <>
Subject RE: Newbie problem with JSP contexts & virtual hosts
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2004 22:00:25 GMT
Hi, that looks ok to me.  You can specify as many servlets as you want to
map/handle various type of patterns.  But I don't quite understand what you
mean by "having a new instance of JspServlet with each host is a overhead".
Because that's probably something you want anyways.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Bucanek []
Sent: April 13, 2004 00:07
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Newbie problem with JSP contexts & virtual hosts

While I didn't get any suggestions or feedback on my original question, I
believe I've found a solution.  Now I just need to run it by the group to
see if it's "Kosher."

James Bucanek wrote on Sunday, April 11, 2004:
>  <!-- Virtual host: -->
>  <!-- (jlb 11-April-2004) Added virtual host -->
>  <Host name="" debug="0"
>        unpackWARs="false" autoDeploy="true">
>    <!-- Context for the top-level web application -->
>    <Context path="" docBase="." debug="99" reloadable="true"/>
>  </Host>

>    <web-app>
>        <display-name>darkthirty</display-name>
>        <description> artwork application</description>
>        <!-- Global parameters for this web application -->
>        <context-param>
>            <param-name>test</param-name>
>            <param-value>Some Value</param-value>
>        </context-param>
>    </web-app>

The basic problem with this arrangement is that my JSP pages ran in the
context of the 'jsp' <servlet> that's defined in
${CATALINA_HOME}/conf/web.xml for the default <Host>, not the Context that I
defined in my web-app that I want to run in my virtual <Host>.

So, it occurred to me that I could create may own instance of the JSP engine
as my <Servlet>.  Now that I have a <Servlet> to reference, I can then map
all of the *.jsp files in my virtual host to that:

        <description> artwork application</description>
        <!-- Global parameters available to all web applications -->
            <param-value>Some Value</param-value>
        <!-- The mapping for the JSP servlet -->

This seems to work just great.  The Manager sees my application (by name),
and all of the context parameters appear in my JSP pages.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be anything really "bad" about
this solution.  Except that I end up with a new instance of the JspServlet
for each virtual host, which is probably a tolerable amount of overhead.

My question is this: Is this the "right" way to accomplish this?

James Bucanek       <>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: