tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "bort" <spamb...@rogers.com>
Subject Memory Usage
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:56:53 GMT
Hi all

We've setup Tomcat to use a max of 256Mb.  I've been tracking memory usage
using:

   Runtime r = Runtime.getRuntime();
   System.out.println("M: "+r.maxMemory());
   System.out.println("T: "+r.totalMemory());
   System.out.println("A: "+r.freeMemory());
   System.runFinalization();
   System.gc();
   System.out.println("A: "+r.freeMemory());

Current reading is:

M: 335544320
T: 51200000
A: 23138080
A: 23479384

What I've noticed is that the the 'T' value (Total Memory) slowly increases,
but never goes back down.  According to the Runtime javadoc, this is the
total amount of memory in the JVM.  Will this continue to increase?  What
happens when it hits the Maximum memory amount?  Should I be concerned about
this?

tia
bort