tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <christopher.d.schu...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: JNDI Datasource Reference in DD Not Necessary?
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 16:31:36 GMT
All,

I was just about to ask a question like this thread's today... glad I
read the archives. ;)

I have an intersting observation in Tomcat 4.1.29. I found that my
resource-ref was misnamed in web.xml, so I decided to check it out. A
long time ago, I wrote a quick-and-dirty JNDI browser to help me figure
out these things.

Using my JNDI browser, and looking at the path "java:/comp/env/jdbc" I
find the following entries:

     *  DSMstandard, class = org.apache.naming.ResourceLinkRef
     * diagnosis, class = org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource

(I have two DataSources configured -- I have to deal w/two DBs, so
they're both there).

It's odd that one of them shows up as a ResourceLinkRef and the other as
a BasicDataSource. (I have no resource-ref elements in my web.xml, for
testing). They were defined the same way in server.xml:

<GlobalNamingResources>
	    <Resource name="jdbc/diagnosis"
			auth="Container"
			type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
	    <Resource name="jdbc/DSMstandard"
			auth="Container"
			type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

(I'll spare you the details of the ResourceParams, but they are
identical except for the name used).
</GlobalNamingResources>

N.B.: I have my <Resource> declaration in <GlobalNamingResources>
because I need to use it for my Realm. Apparently, Resources defined
within a Context that will use it as a Realm don't work well -- at least
this was my experience. I found that putting the resource in the global
resources and then using a ResourceLink did the trick.

Then, later, within the <Context> that will be using these, I had to add
these:

	    <ResourceLink name="jdbc/diagnosis"
			global="jdbc/diagnosis"
                         type="javax.sql.DataSource" />

	    <ResourceLink name="jdbc/DSMstandard"
			global="jdbc/DSMstandard"
                         type="javax.sql.DataSource" />

Why wouldn't I get both BasicDataSource objects, or both ResourceLinkRef
objects?

I thought it may have to do with the fact that I have the same name for
the global reference and the local reference, so I changed the global
references to "jdbc/[dbname]-global" and re-started. I got the exact
same stuff in that JNDI context.

Can anyone explain what's going on?

Logically, I would expect the following:

1. <Resource> elements in the <GlobalNamingResources> would show up for
all Contexts. If this is true, then why do I need <ResourceLink> in my
context?

2. <ResourceLink> elements in a <Context> "grant" access to a
globally-defined resource to that particular Context. Makes sense --
maybe you have a global resource for convenience, but it's a security
issue to grant that resource to *any* webapp running on the server. So,
if this is true, why don't I get two objects of type ResourceLinkRef in
my context's JNDI namespace? Instead, I get one DataSource and one
ResourceLinkRef.

3. <resource-ref> elements in web.xml should map the local name of a
resource (the one you use from your webapp in JNDI lookups) to the
resource mentioned in the Context's <ResourceLink> element.

So, if all that's true, then here's what happens:

<Resource> defines the canonical name for the resource. <ResourceLink>
grants the resource to a particular webapp, possibly re-naming it in the
process. (This should produce a ResourceLinkRef object in the JNDI
namespace as seen by the webapp). <resource-ref> adds a 'local'
reference name to a resource provided by the container. This should add
another ResourceLinkRef (or something similar) to the JNDI namespace as
seen by the webapp.

Can someone comment on my logic, and show me where I'm making incorrect
assumptions or missing some crucial detail?

Thanks so much for helping me beat a dead horse. I really want to know
what's going on. I'm *not* in a position where something's not working,
so examples for getting things working aren't a ton of help (they pop up
on the list often, and are in both Tomcat 4.x and 5.x JNDI HOWTOs).

Thanks,
-chris