tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "SMaric" <stefan.ma...@eaac.co.uk>
Subject Re: DBCP and removeAbandoned
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:52:17 GMT
Hi

If I've understood things correctly
removeAbandoned should enable recovery of  'lost' connections - ie your
webApp dies without cleanly releaseing the Connection object, so having
removeAbandoned on tells the container to keep an eye on things

You've also got the timeout set to 60 (secs ??) - did you wait this long
when you were checking

Obviously when you stop Tomcat, the whole JRE gets shutdown so what you've
seen there is correct

"Eric Prévost" <ep_tomcat@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Tomcat 5.0.18 on Linux.  My database server is Microsoft SQL
Server 2000. I'm using Microsoft's JDBC driver. This is my data source
definition in server.xml:

> <Resource name="jdbc/intranet" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
> <ResourceParams name="jdbc/intranet">
>       <parameter>
>         <name>validationQuery</name>
>         <value>select getdate()</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>maxWait</name>
>         <value>5000</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>maxActive</name>
>         <value>50</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>password</name>
>         <value>myPassword</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>url</name>

<value>jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://myserver;DatabaseName=intranet</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>driverClassName</name>
>         <value>com.microsoft.jdbc.sqlserver.SQLServerDriver</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>maxIdle</name>
>         <value>30</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>username</name>
>         <value>MyUsername</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>removeAbandoned</name>
>         <value>true</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>removeAbandonedTimeout</name>
>         <value>60</value>
>       </parameter>
>       <parameter>
>         <name>factory</name>
>         <value>org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory</value>
>       </parameter>
>     </ResourceParams>
>

> When I stress-test my application with JMeter, I can see over 80
connections on my database server, and they are not released until I stop
tomcat...  Is removeAbandoned parameter not supposed to take care of these
connections???