tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject Re: Tomcat Loads Deleted Context?
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:22:22 GMT
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Josh Rehman wrote:

> Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > Josh Rehman wrote:
> >
> >> Amen to that brother. I wasted a lot of time having an old context
> >> load up on me with TC5 when I had removed it from server.xml.
> >>
> >> Very, very bad idea tomcat developers!
> >
> > Glad you like it :)
> > BTW, it's not going to change. Just stop using server.xml for your
> > context declarations and you'll be fine.
>
> If you're really in love with this idea, then why not, at the very
> least, comment out the server.xml Context for the poor, unsuspecting

FWIW, the <Context> tag in the distributed server.xml is commented out.

> users, and include a note saying, "By the way, you shouldn't edit
> contexts here. Edit them at x/y/z/mycontext.xml". Then at least
> people will be merely annoyed rather than actively frustrated trying
> to figure out why their contexts aren't going away.
>
> Just a suggestion.

And a good one.

I don't think Remy's suggestion above is unreasonable -- AS LONG AS
IT'S DOCUMENTED (sorry for shouting).  Especially if it's as simple as
adding a few lines in server.xml.  (Well, it would be nice if it were
added to the server configuration documentation as well.)

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
mepstein@uiuc.edu