tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Milt Epstein <mepst...@uiuc.edu>
Subject RE: Tomcat Loads Deleted Context?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:11:48 GMT
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Yansheng Lin wrote:

> Yes, that context descriptor(deleted.xml) still exists under that
> directory!!!  And after deleting it, tomcat doesn't load the
> particular webapp anymore.  But I still think this is a possible
> bug.  Since the expected behaviour is not to load anything anymore
> for a deleted webapp.

Yes, but the question is, what constitutes a webapp being deleted?
And the answer, I think, depends on how you have Tomcat configured
(e.g., in terms of auto-deployment of webapps).  I'd say that if
you're using a context configuration file, that's part of the webapp.
And if you haven't deleted it, you haven't really deleted the webapp.

>                        I removed the <Context> for that webapp in
> conf/server.xml.

Hmmm -- you had a <Context> element for this webapp in server.xml
*and* a separate context configuration file?  That's redundant,
because they serve the same purpose.  I'm not sure what would happen
in that case -- were you per chance seeing your webapp starting up
twice?

>                   And the deleted project directory is located
> outside of TOMCAT default webapps/ dir... .

Which means there has to be some element inside Tomcat's configuration
(either in server.xml or a separate context configuration file) that
lets Tomcat know about it.  And until you delete that element, you
haven't deleted the webapp.

That's my take on it, at least :-).

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer