tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject RE: Redeployment of War over and over Supported?
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:05:29 GMT

Would multiple Tomcat instances be run in a production environment as well?
We're developing a webapp and having to retart Tomcat with each webapp
installation is one of our concerns.

             "Shapira, Yoav"
                                       "Tomcat Users List"
             02/02/2004 06:00          <>
             Please respond to         RE: Redeployment of War over and
               "Tomcat Users           over Supported?

>Wow, OK, thanks for the great insight.  In other words, it's safe to
>assume to always restart Tomcat when deploying webapps.  That, of
>course, is less than ideal.  For testing, that just makes the
>development time longer (and more complicated, since now we have to
>remember to restart Tomcat every X deployment times).  And for
>production, of course we don't want to take anything down.

In practice, it's also common to have one webapp per tomcat instance, so
that should anything go wrong (e.g. OutOfMemoryError, malicious code),
only one webapp is affected even if you have to restart the tomcat
server.  So that above is not bad from that perspective.

Yoav Shapira

printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
and notify the sender.  Thank you.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: