tomcat-users mailing list archives

From pava...@tcs.com
Subject RE: Excel Mime problem
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:32:36 GMT
no i tried all the options..
from the server side,IE doesnt open the excel embbedded in a excel..

but to try i just saved the html on my computer and hardoced a test.xls to
open when
i click the button..in this case,the excel opens in a excel embedded
within the browser..

but when i call from the server thru a URL,it opens as a simple text
file(with in the browser window)..

i also tried creating that excel using sourforge.net excel utilities..but
the problem
is not with the excel but with some content setting in the server i
suppose..

http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls  -> opens excel contents as a text
format within the browser

but when i use the code window.open("test.xls") in a html page saved on my
local machine it opens
up with in a excel sheet embedded in the browser itself..

this is the behavior..i find this beahior in another tomcat  environment
also..

Pavan Kumar
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: pavan.k@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com

"Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Crossley@QAS.com>
02/06/2004 06:20 AM

Please respond to
"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

"Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
cc

Subject
RE: Excel Mime problem

What happens if you type the URL of the XLS directly into IE?

http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls

Does Excel boot up in this case? IE should automatically recognise the
.xls extension on the file. If it does not then you probably need to look
at your IE settings.

When you say the contents of the xls are printed to screen do you mean
that BINARY excel is printed OR do you mean that you have created a CSV
comma separated format file and saved that with a .XLS extension and that
is what you get.

The window.open("http://yourserver.com/path/to/test.xls", "windowName")
should work IF you have the test.xls on the file system and the URL is
correct. Try the absolute path instead of relative also...