tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tom.Willi...@diversifiedsoftware.com
Subject RE: Question about webapp deployment or re-deployment
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:41:14 GMT

Thanks for the info.  I'm already using the web interface to deploy my
webapp in both Tomcat 4.1.29 and 5.0.18.   My question is, if I need to
deploy an "upgrade", let's say, to the webapp how can I deploy the new
version of the webapp:

*) without using ant
*) without losing the changes made to web.xml
*) preferably without having to restart Tomcat or removing the webapp and
re-installing the new version of the webapp

I would like to retain the data sources I've defined as well as the web.xml
changes I've made as I "upgrade" my webapp as new versions are developed.

>From what I've read, people seem to be using ant to do this kind of work.
Is ant required for what I need to accomplish?

Thanks in advance...

Peace...

Tom

             "Shapira, Yoav"
             <Yoav.Shapira@mpi
                                       "Tomcat Users List"
             02/04/2004 05:47          <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         RE: Question about webapp
               "Tomcat Users           deployment or re-deployment
                   List"
             <tomcat-user@jaka
              rta.apache.org>

Howdy,
You can use the manager's webapp HTML interface without ant.  Connect to
http://yourhost:yourport/manager/deploy?path=/foo with an HTTP PUT
request containing your WAR.  See
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/manager-howto.html#Deplo
y%20A%20New%20Application%20Remotely

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

Windows
>2000 server to test a webapp we're developing as well as learn some of
the
>environmental "issues" that might impact our app when we deploy it in
>production environments.
>
>Currently, we use ant to build a war file that is then used to install
the
>webapp via the Tomcat Manager web interface.    We upload the war
directly
>with the Manager and it deploys the webapp.    Then I stop the webapp
and
>update web.xml to configure some data sources and some servlet mappings
and
>restart Tomcat and the webapp.  I'm working with Tomcat 4.1.29 when
doing
>this.   That works fine and my webapp runs just fine.   Now, when I
make
>changes to the webapp that I need to get installed, I'm not sure how to
>"upgrade" (effectively) the running webapp.   I've been removing it and
>re-deploying it but that results in the web.xml changes being lost.
>
>I can't guarantee ant will be installed on the target server, so I'm
trying
>to develop an installation and upgrade process that doesn't involve
ant.
>When we install our webapp in a production environment, we'll most
likely
>have a pre-built war on a CD that we install from.
>
>I've been reading a TON of great info on re-deploying webapps but they
all
>seem to involve running ant to handle the re-deployment.    Will I be
>"forced" to use ant or is there another way to 'upgrade' or "re-deploy"
an
>existing running webapp?
>
>I will be working on procedures for Tomcat 4.1.29 and Tomcat 5.0.18 as
>think they handle re-deployment differently, but I'm not sure.
>
>Thanks in advance for your time and help.
>
>Peace....
>
>Tom

printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
and notify the sender.  Thank you.