tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Clay Hensley" <clayh...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.0.18 not responding as a Windows Service
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:18:47 GMT
I recently ran into the same problem on a Windows XP machine.  I tried
everything I could find in the archives: use the EXE installer, use the ZIP
package and run SERVICE install to create the service.  I installed,
uninstalled, and re-installed multiple times.

Fortunately I had a second machine that was working to compare to.  I found
my answer in the registry.  In
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Tomcat5 the start key was set to a
value of 0x03.  I set the value to what the working machine uses: 0x02 (I
think this corresponds to Automatic startup in the Services applet under
Control Panel).  I rebooted and like magic everything worked.  I can even
change the Tomcat service from automatic to manual and it still works.

HTH.

Clay Hensley

----- Original Message -----
From: "Turansky, Mark" <mturansky@axiom-rm.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 2:30 PM
Subject: Tomcat 5.0.18 not responding as a Windows Service

I installed 5.0.18 on W2K, which automatically sets up Tomcat as a Windows
Service.  My J2SE 1.4.2 is installed at c:\java and I made the JAVA_HOME
environment variable point to this directory.  Tomcat is in c:\tomcat, which
is also CATALINA_HOME.

Tomcat runs fine using 'startup.bat'.

When I try running the service, I receive the following error:

"Could not start the Apache Tomcat service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a
timely fashion"

The event log contains the following two entries that correspond to the
above error:

"Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Apache Tomat service to
connect."

and

"The Apache Tomcat service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
fashion"

Note:  calling the tomcat executable (c:\tomcat\bin\tomcat.exe) from the
command line does nothing.  Tomcat does not appear in the task manager.
There is no response whatsoever.

How do I fix this?  Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Mark