tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik \(lists\)" <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject RE: Slow Java app on Tomcat with a 667 MHz CPU
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 20:59:03 GMT
if you precompile the jsp pages? is it still dogging?
and how is your CPU state when running
Filip

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Raible [mailto:matt@raibledesigns.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 7:57 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Slow Java app on Tomcat with a 667 MHz CPU

I have developed a webapp that uses basic open source stuff (struts,
hibernate, etc.).  I've been developing/testing it on the following
platforms - where it works fine and runs lickedy-split:

OS X 10.3, 1.33 GHz, 1 GB RAM
Windows XP, 2.6 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM
Windows 2000 Server, 1 GHz, 512 MB RAM
Windows 2000 Server, 1.5 GHz, 256 MB RAM

All of these are running Tomcat 4.1.29 or 4.1.12.  I recently tried to
deploy it to the "test web server" at my client and it runs dreadfully
slow.  It takes almost 30 seconds to load a page.  The main difference
is that the test web server has a 667 MHz CPU.  It has 512 MB RAM, and
we upgraded it to 1 GB, but that didn't help at all.

I've recommended we get a faster CPU for the test web server, but I
wanted to confirm that this could be the source of the problem.  On this
server, and the 1.5 GHz/256 MB RAM machine, IIS is integrated with
Tomcat.  All machines are running JDK 1.4.0 or above.

Thanks,

Matt

---