tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Marcel Stor <mar...@frightanic.com>
Subject RE: [Repost] Tomcat logging
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 09:07:39 GMT
Adam Hardy <mailto:ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2004 07:51 AM Marcel Stor wrote:
>> explains the new context descriptors. I still don't quite get it. It
>> says "...which would normally be found in the main server
>> configuration file...". Well, does this mean I can (have to?) remove
>> all my context descriptions from server.xml and place them into
>> individual files? Or do I need both? Or??
>
> You only ever have one context description per app, and it can be in
> server.xml or in a seperate file.

Ok, got that.

>> What really concerns me:
>> Each of my contexts has a FileLogger and a AccessLogValve defined.
>> Hoever, at startup only the valve log is created. With TC4 each
>> context's FileLogger log was created and contained entries saying
>> that the context had successfully been loaded etc. Why is the log
>> not created anymore? Also, one app uses the standard Java logging
>> framework. All the log entries end up in catalina.out instead of the
>> app's own context log. How to resolve this?
>
> What are you using to log? The java.utils.logging framework
> will log to
> anywhere you define in its configuration. By default, as a file
> java0.log in the tomcat user's home directory.

I know. And if the app is started one would have to a runtime parameter
to define the corresponding properties file with all the logging
configuration...
However, if the Sun framework is used withing a webapp that uses a
FileLogger (as defined in the context) I would expect that logging
messages end up in the context's log and not in catalina.out???

Regards,
Marcel