tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <Wendy.Sm...@asu.edu>
Subject RE: Limit size of catalina.out ?
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:28:50 GMT
> From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
> It's not a catalina Logger, it's just the trap for
> System.out/System.err.  one good way to get it to "rotate" is to add
> swallowOutput="true" to your Context definition.
> Of course, patches/enhancements are always welcome as well.

Thanks for that, it will save me some research when this comes back up
on my "things to do" list!  Every month on maintenance weekend I stop
Tomcat, rename catalina.out and restart Tomcat.  A bit of a pain, but I
don't like the file getting too big.  At least now I know it isn't
currently possible.

This would be a great enhancement.  Would someone who is familiar with
the Tomcat code take a moment to describe how you think it could be
done?  Or just point in the general direction of the code that would
need to be changed.  Getting started is the hardest part, and I'm not
familiar enough with Tomcat to know where to look.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.