tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <Wendy.Sm...@asu.edu>
Subject Tomcat error-page not working (was: RE: Tomcat and checked vs. unchecked exceptions)
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:19:34 GMT
> From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
> Try <exception-type>java.lang.RuntimeException</exception-type>, as
> that's the superclass for unchecked exceptions and you
> probably want to
> handle them all the same (if you want to handle them at all, which
> apparently you do).

I don't understand. :(  I don't know if this is related to the original
question, but I have this in web.xml:

   <error-page>
      <exception-type>javax.servlet.ServletException</exception-type>
      <location>/WEB-INF/jsp/exceptions/ServletException.jsp</location>
   </error-page>

(in the appropriate place, at the bottom just above </web-app>)

When this code executes:
   if ( report == null || report.equals( "" ) ) {
      log.debug( "doGet: no data!  Need to forward to an error page." );
      throw new ServletException( "No data found in HOLD file" );
   }

I _still_ get this in the browser:

type Exception report
message
it from fulfilling this request.
exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: No data found in HOLD file
	at edu.asu.vpia.webapp.PDFServlet.doGet(PDFServlet.java:94)

Yansheng Lin suggested using Struts declarative exception handling, but
this is a plain-old Servlet, not a Struts Action.

The same <error-page> tag works fine in a different webapp, I'm at a
loss as to why it fails in this one.  The JSP is present in the location
given in the tag.

What am I missing, why do I get a Tomcat-generated error page and not
the JSP I specified?

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.