tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Running tomcat 5.18 as a service under Windows 2003
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:18:07 GMT

Howdy,

>No!  Additional analysis reveals that if run by the command line,
calling
>shutdown will not always kill the window executing Tomcat.  We do get a
lot
>of messages about how Catalina is shutting down, but the window will
not go
>away until I Ctrl-C inside of it.  At that time, the window goes away
and
>tomcat is no longer represented in task manager.  Does this help with
the
>diagnosis any?

Sure does, it's exactly why I asked.  You most likely have non-daemon
threads that aren't being terminated, so the JVM cannot shut down.
Tomcat has shut down its own threads, including the connectors, hence
the 404 pages in the browser, but the JVM itself cannot exit so the
service is stuck.

You need to make sure any threads you start are either daemons or you
terminate them when your app is shutting down.  A
ServletContextListener's contextDestroyed method is one possible place
to do this.

This issue has been discussed on this list in the past, and other
approaches suggested, so you might want to search the archives.

Yoav Shapira