tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Servlet thread safety in Tomcat
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:50:28 GMT

Howdy,

>Thanks ,It realy means I have to redesign the whole app ....,but there
>is the issue of networking and Java Mail, it seems the other servlet
has
>to wait for a very long time for the other servlet to get all the
>mail.My question is can Tomcat process two sessions of a servlet
>downloading mail at the same time sopposing the other session is
>slow.Will the one with a faster connection finish first or will have to
>wait for the one with slow connection...?

This is specific to your app.  What code are you executing to "download
mail"?  Please also be sure you're not confusion a JavaMail "session"
with a Servlet "session."  The two are entirely different, despite
sharing the name "session."

In general, it is undesirable for one servlet to wait for another.
That's too high a degree of coupling.

Yoav Shapira